Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

This trilogy in five parts has to be my all time favourite read. Now I know there are more than enough reviews, and since these books have been a radio series, talking books, tv shows and a movie it would almost seem redundant for me to mention them but I must pay homage to my favourite author. In fact Douglas Adams was, until his recent passing, one of the five people I desired to meet. In fact I wish he were around today so I could follow his twitter feed. No doubt he would keep his fans amused for ever.
As for the series, well here are some of the characters one would meet along the way.
– Zaphod Beeblebrox, a two headed egotistical president of the universe
– Slartibartfast, creator of planets and winner of the design award for his fjords
– Marvin the Prozac deprived robot
And for what these characters would encounter what could be more interesting than
– A Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, a drink that has the effect of having your brain smashed out by a gold brick wrapped in a slice of lemon
– A Total Perspective Vortox
– An elevator that can see into the future
And the heart of gold, infinite improbability drive.
To be honest no review could do these series justice and maybe they arent everyone’s cup of tea but those who do enjoy Douglas Adams are not simply fans but devout followers.
And if none of this enticed you to read the books then all I can say is “42″!

No comments:

Post a Comment